Warwick FD promotes Fire Prevention Week

| 28 Sep 2011 | 02:59

WARWICK-Warwick’s firefighters were busy last week providing fire prevention training for area children. Students at Warwick elementary schools, as well as about 350 preschoolers from day care centers, were taught fire prevention and fire safety. Each student was given pamphlets to take home to their parents about home fire safety and the dangers of carbon monoxide. “Use Candles With Care” was the theme for this year’s Fire Prevention Week, and the Warwick Fire Department reminds residents that lit candles should never be left unattended. According to the National Fire Protection Association, an estimated 18,000 home fires are started by candles each year. The department also advises that residents should change the batteries in their smoke detectors when they turn back the clocks on Oct.. 29. Information for this was provided by Thom Cronin.