Local man shot, killed by police after high-speed chase

| 28 Sep 2011 | 02:12

    Warwick-A Warwick man is dead after taking police on a chase through Warwick and Vernon, then running over officers who tried to stop him. Anthony M. Costello Jr., 32, of Hoyt Road, was shot once in the arm by Warwick police Officer Ronald Donnatin. Orange County District Attorney Frank Phillips said investigators believe the bullet went through the arm and into Costello's chest. Costello later died at St. Anthony Community Hospital. He was the father of a six-year-old daughter and lived in Warwick all of his life. Police said Costello was stopped in Edenville after erratic driving on Union Corners Road last Thursday night around 9 p.m. He fled the scene, first going toward the Village of Florida, then heading into New Jersey and then back into the Hamlet of Bellvale in Warwick. A tire deflation device was used to flatten his tires on Cascade Road, along with two police units blocking the 2000 Dodge sedan's path. Costello tried to flee the scene again, according to police, by ramming his car into the police vehicles behind him. He struck three Warwick police officers and one state trooper. Officer Michael Ibbetson received injuries to his legs and hips. Officer Alton Morley injured his legs and ankles. Detective Gary Sisco had injuries to his hands. "All of the officers were released early on Friday morning," said Warwick police Chief Thomas McGovern Jr. "All are on medical leave." State Trooper Robert Baird also suffered a knee injury at the scene. He was treated at the Arden Hill Campus of Orange Regional Medical Center and released. McGovern said Donnatin is receiving counseling and is on paid leave while a grand jury investigates. Evidence of the incident will be presented to a grand jury in four to six weeks, which is standard procedure in a shooting, McGovern said. Many in the town are reeling from the incident, the first one of its kind here in Warwick. Sympathies for both the Costello family and the police department have been pouring in. Hundreds were in attendance Tuesday at Costello's funeral to comfort his family. McGovern said his department has received much support from the community as well. "We thank all of the people in the community for their support," he said. "We've received phone calls, emails, even food has been brought to the station. It has been overwhelming."