Furnace tune up helps prevent carbon monoxide danger

| 15 Feb 2012 | 09:42

    PEARL RIVER — It’s never too early to start preparing for the winter heating season. According to a press release issued by Orange and Rockland Utilities, Inc., arrange now for a qualified heating contractor to help make your home as warm - and as safe - as possible. That contractor, among other things, can help identify and address any carbon monoxide issues in your home through the proper maintenance of your heating unit. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas that is odorless, colorless and tasteless. It is formed by the incomplete combustion of fuels such as heating oil, wood, gasoline, coal, natural gas, propane and charcoal. When heating units or motors are not working properly, or if exhaust fumes and chimneys are not properly vented outdoors, carbon monoxide can accumulate in your home. The dangers of CO can be reduced by the installation of approved CO Detectors. Breathing even small amounts of carbon monoxide can result in headaches, dizziness or nausea. Prolonged exposure can result in more severe illness, or even death. To prevent a carbon monoxide problem, make sure that a plumber or qualified heating contractor services your furnace each year before the heating season begins to: Clean and adjust your heating system’s thermostat. Check the flue for leaks to avoid carbon monoxide escaping into living spaces. Check operating efficiency of heating controls. Replace cracked, worn or frayed blower belts. Clean or replace filter. Remove dust or lint from furnace vents, registers and cold air returns. For more details about carbon monoxide, see our home page at www.oru.com.