Fire destroys King's Estate condo, dog

| 28 Sep 2011 | 02:47

    WARWICK-The Warwick Fire Department was dispatched to the report of an automatic fire alarm sounding at #66 Marion Court in the King's Estates development on Thursday afternoon, March 3. The firefighters found light smoke issuing from the roof vent. They had to force entry since no one was at home. Firefighters were then confronted with very heavy smoke throughout the unit and fire in the first floor kitchen burning through to the second floor bedrooms. They performed a quick search of the building to be certain no one was trapped and then rapidly extinguished the fire. Their quick work allowed them to contain the fire to the unit it originated in without spreading to any of the adjoining condominiums. The family's pet dog "Poncho" unfortunately died as a result of the fire. Although the case remains under investigation, fire officials determined that the fire began in the area of the clothes dryer in the kitchen. The homes in this area of King's Estates have automatic fire detectors that sound an audible and visible alarm outside the building but do not automatically notify the fire department. It is important that residents call 911 if they hear or see one of these alarms activated.