The following is a summary of Warwick Fire Department activities from the last week, provided by Michael Contaxis, the 1st Assistant Chief and Fire Prevention chairman.
Here are highlights:
• The Warwick Fire Department has responded to 279 calls for service since the beginning of the year, an increase of eight service calls since last week.
• Fire Prevention Week is Oct. 4-10. Any preschool or school program in the Warwick Fire District is asked to please contact the Warwick Fire Prevention Team to set your school Fire Prevention Week visits. All questions can be forwarded to the Warwick Fire Prevention Team at 845-986-3473 or please email email@example.com.
• Learning fire prevention is easy and right from your smart phone and tablets please go to sparkyschoolhouse.org and teach your family young and old fire safety tips to keep them Warwick Fire Safe.
• As many of you are aware the cold weather has set in early so now is the time to have your boilers, hot water heaters, all heating systems checked by a certified heating professional and as always please have more than one smoke and carbon monoxide detector functioning on all levels of your home.
• WFD reminds all to call the Warwick Police Departments Communications Desk at 845-986-5000 or Orange County 911 in the event of an emergency.
• This past Monday our four companies completed apparatus and buildings checks to ensure our WFD fleet is operational for all future emergencies.
• This past Wednesday evening the WFD FAST Team (Firefighters Assist Search Team) completed a joint operations drill with the Excelsior Hose Company #1 and the Raymond Hose Company #2.
During the drill the WFD was alerted to respond to a possible boiler fire in the basement of a residence that was extinguished upon our arrival.
The WFD was assisted by the Warwick Police Department and Warwick EMS who treated the homeowner and the plumbers on scene for minor injuries sustained from the furnace malfunctioning.
All involved were evaluated and refused further medical assistance at the scene.