The following are highlights of Warwick Fire Department activities from the last week, provided by Michael Contaxis, the 1st Assistant Chief and Fire Prevention chairman:
• As of Aug. 24, the Warwick Fire Department has responded to 261 calls for service since Jan. 1.
• This past Monday evening all companies completed apparatus and buildings checks to ensure our WFD fleet is operational for all future emergencies.
• This past Wednesday, the Excelsior Hose Company #1 and the Raymond Hose Company #2 completed a joint a operational drill at the WFD Memorial Park Pump Station.
• This past Thursday evening the Warwick Fire Department Rope Team met at the Goodwill Hook & Ladder Company#1” to complete its monthly scheduled operations drill.
•This past Thursday evening the Excelsior Hose Company #1 drilled with the IDEX SAMs Integrated Total Water Control System at the WFD Pump Station in Memorial Park.
• At 3:04 early Sunday morning, the Warwick Fire Department was dispatched to a possible structure fire.
The WFD arrived on the scene with nothing showing. Upon further investigation, firefighters located a electrical fire in the breaker panel of the residence.
Orange and Rockland Utilities, Inc., was called to the scene for a power cut.
Fire investigators were also called to the scene to ￼determine the cause of the fire. Units picked up and were back in service at 5 a.m.
“We would like to remind everyone,” Contaxis added, “that smoke detectors do save lives.”