Warwick Fire Dept.

17 Nov 2020 | 01:29

    The Warwick Fire Department has responded to 352 calls for service to date.

    • The Warwick Fire Department Needs Firefighters!

    • Do you want to be a Warwick Firefighter? Do you want to join the Warwick Fire Police? Are you 16 years of age or older and want to give back with protecting the Warwick community? Then we want you! Are you new to our community? Are you in high school or recently retired and want to help give back? We offer teamwork, dedication, family and a bond like no other. We look forward to hearing from you. Please call us at 845-986-3473 or by contacting us on our social media accounts on Facebook, Instagram or by emailing us at wfd634c@yahoo.com. You can also stop by any of our firehouses any evening to speak with a Fire Officer especially Monday evenings at 7 pm or the 1st Tuesday of the Month at 7pm stop at any firehouse to see any Fire Officer about joining we need you! All ages are welcome 16 years or older!

    • Warwick Fire Prevention Team Report :

    • Fire Safety Begins With Us All!!! Many home fires are preventable! Home Fires with candles burning are preventable! There’s a special beauty and tranquility to candles, but a lighted candle is also an open flame, and a potential fire hazard if not carefully monitored. In fact, an estimated 8,200 home fires are started by candles each year according to the National Fire Protection Association.

    A study by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission suggests that 85 percent of candle fires could be avoided if consumers followed three basic safety rules:

    Never leave a burning candle unattended.

    Never burn a candle on or near anything that might catch fire.

    Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.

    How to Burn a Candle Safely

    Before Lighting:

    Before burning, always trim the wick to 1/4 inch. You can use a wick trimmer, nail clippers, or scissors. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring.

    Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.

    Always use a candleholder specifically designed for candle use. It should be heat resistant, sturdy, and large enough to contain any drips or melted wax.

    Burn candles in a well-ventilated room:

    Avoid drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, sooting, and excessive dripping.

    Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations on burn time and proper use. In general, it is recommended that candles do not burn for longer than four hours and cool for at least two hours before relighting.

    When lighting a candle, use long matchesor a long-reach lighter. Keep your hair and loose clothing away from the flame.

    While Burning:

    Never leave a candle unattended.

    Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire. Keep burning candles away from furniture, drapes, bedding, carpets, books, paper, flammable decorations, etc.

    Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets. Do not place lighted candles where they can be knocked over by children, pets or anyone else.

    Never touch or move a candle while it is burning or while the wax is liquefied.

    Don’t burn a candle all the way down. For a margin of safety, discontinue burning a candle when 1/2 inch remains in the container or 2 inches if using a pillar candle.

    Place burning candles at least three inches apart from one another. This is to make sure they don’t melt one another, or create their own drafts that will cause the candles to burn improperly.

    Extinguish a candle if the flame becomes too high or flickers repeatedly. Let the candle cool, trim the wick, and check for unwanted drafts before re-lighting.

    Never use a candle as a night light or while you may fall asleep.

    Be very careful if using candles during a power outage. Flashlights and other battery-powered lights are safer sources of light during a power failure. Never use a candle during a power outage to look for things in a closet, or when fueling equipment – such as a lantern or kerosene heater.

    When Extinguishing a Candle:

    Use a candle snuffer to extinguish a candle. It’s the safest way to prevent hot wax from splattering.

    Never use water to extinguish a candle. Water can cause the hot wax to splatter and might break a glass container.

    Make sure the candle is completely outand the wick ember is no longer glowing before leaving the room.

    Don’t touch or move the candle until it has completely cooled.

    Never use a knife or sharp object to remove wax drippings from a glass holder. It might scratch, weaken, or cause the glass to break upon subsequent use.

    National Fire Protection Association

    •Always remember to keep our community Warwick Fire Safe!!! WFD Fire Prevention Team : “Preventing Fires Through Education”. We want you to remember that Fire Fire Prevention is easy and right from your smart phone and tablets please go to NFPA.ORG, community.nfpa.org or to the children’s interactive site at sparkyschoolhouse.org and teach your family young and old fire safety tips to keep them Warwick Fire Safe. This years theme is “Serve Up Fire Safety In The Kitchen”. For Fire Prevention Week Tips learn more at fpw.org or esfi.org. Fire Prevention is everyone’s job of all ages all year everyday!!! All questions can be forwarded to the Warwick Fire Prevention Team at 845-986-3473 or please email wfd634c@yahoo.com.

    • This past week the Warwick FD completed weekly Apparatus and Building Checks to ensure our equipment is operational for an emergency at any time.

    • This past Wednesday the Raymond Hose Company #2 held an Engine Company Operations Drill.

    • This past Thursday the Warwick Fire Department Extrications Team held it’s monthly scheduled Extrication Drill at Specht’s Garage on Covered Bridge Road. Thank You to The Specht’s Family for your continued support to the WFD to allow us to continue to train to better our skills.

    • This past Friday the Warwick Fire Department held the 1st of a two part drill including a mandatory training video for new Firefighters to be qualified as Interior Firefighters with Bailout Bags. All Warwick Interior Firefighters are equipped with a bailout system which is sometimes your last defense against death or serious injury or being trapped in a burning structure. It is a vital component of your firefighter rescue gear.

    • On Saturday Morning the Warwick Fire Department held the 2nd part of the Bail Out Training for new Firefighters which includes 9 slides or jumps and 3 jumps or slides for firefighters requalifying annually. Firefighters also completed scba or self contained breathing apparatus requalifications to demonstrate the necessary skills to use in the event of an emergency in a fire. All training was completed at Warwick Station 4.

    • On Saturday the Warwick Fire Department had a busy day starting first thing in the morning with Department training into the afternoon followed by a house fire on Buttermilk Falls Road in the Town of Warwick off of Cascade Road. All units returned to service without incident. We could not have done it without the help of our Mutual Companies, The Warwick Town Police Department, Warwick EMS, PIVAC, GWLAC, West Milford Fire our Stand By Companies Florida Fire and Pine Island Fire.

    •On Sunday afternoon the Warwick FD was requested to respond to multiple calls from wires down to a large mulch pile burning on State School Road, including an automatic fire alarm. All units returned to service without incident.

    • Reminder again from the WFD Fire Prevention Team to fall back change your clocks ⏰ fall back an hour change the batteries in your smoke detectors. Keep your family and your neighbors Warwick Fire Safe!!!

    Warwick Fire Department has been busy over these last few days... We responded to a structure fire on Buttermilk Falls roads last night. We also want to extend our thanks to the mutual aid companies that assisted. We have also responded to automatic alarms as well as brush fires and wires down calls.

    These are some pics from a brush fire this afternoon, at 15:33, at 251 State School Rd, Warwick, N.Y. Thank you Peggy and Robb for sending them. We are always looking for members. If anybody would like to join, please stop by any firehouse on The first Tuesday of the month or send us an email at warwickfire150@gmail.com