College Admissions Expert Elizabeth Levine: Getting a Jump on the College Search
What can a student do over the summer to get a jump on the college search?Now that the weather has finally gotten warmer and Spring is in the air, the end of the school year is approaching as is the summer. Making your spare time productive can mean alleviating some of the stress and tasks associated with applying to college. I list below ten top things seniors, and even those who are in high school who are entering into their sophomore or junior year of high school, can do to get a jump on the college search.
For all high school students:
1. Write up all of the activities, community service and paid jobs that you have experienced beginning in ninth grade. For those entering into their senior year pull this information into a resume since you will need that to be sent to the colleges you are applying to.
2. Visit college campus's, and this goes for any high school student. This will allow you to experience different kinds of schools; large, small, rural, urban and much more, so you can decide which type of school most appeals to you. This will help you narrow down the colleges that you will eventually apply to.
3. Participate in interesting activities during the summer through volunteer work, internships, clubs or paid positions. It is important that you do this with things that are of interest to you. Just participating in any community service activity for the sake of getting it on your resume is of no benefit to you or the organization that you are volunteering for.
4. Keep a summer journal to document all of the activities as well as determine what you want and need for the next few years. In addition, journals serve to improve communication skills, which is critical for success not only in college but in life.
5. Read! This is the best way you can improve on your vocabulary and prepare for standardized tests.
If you have any questions about the college admissions process or the above information please do not hesitate to contact me at email@example.com or by phone, 845.551.6946.
Signature College Counseling is an Orange County, Hudson Valley based company
that works one on one with students and their families in navigating the admissions process so you attend the college that is right for you.
firstname.lastname@example.org" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Ask The College Admissions Expert a Question
More From The Ask The Expert
Sign up to get our newsletter emailed to you every week!
Enter your email address in the box below.
Select the newsletters you would like to subscribe to.
Click the 'SUBSCRIBE' button.