Photo by Lotus Head
For over two decades the Guitar Club at Warwick Valley Middle School has been playing music from generations gone by. This year's concert, to be held on Friday, Feb. 3, will be no exception.
WARWICK — For over two decades the Guitar Club at Warwick Valley Middle School has been playing music from generations gone by.
This year’s concert, to be held on Friday, Feb. 3, will be no exception.
More than 150 students will participate in the annual concert, including members of the Guitar Club itself, the Middle School’s Wire Choir, Middle School Jazz Band, as well as Guitar Club alumni who are now up at the High School.
Middle School teachers John Gouveia and Ed Mesic are the advisors for the Club.
Darryl Wilbur, one of the original founders of the Club who has since retired from the district, continues to volunteer with the group now in its 22nd year.
On the play listWith a mix of throw-back tunes and a couple contemporary songs, the program includes genres appealing to a wide range of musical tastes: pop, classic rock, disco, dance/electronic and jazz.
Program selections feature that of musical icons – royalty, if you will – spanning six decades. Groups will play:
• “Suspicious Minds” (1969), first performed by the King of Rock and Roll, Elvis Presley;
• Michael Jackson’s (the King of Pop) “The Way You Make Me Feel” (1987);
• “Under Pressure” (1982) by Queen with David Bowie; and
• Prince’s “Let’s Go Crazy” (1984).
• The “Game of Thrones Theme Song” by Ramin Djawadi, from this decade, is also on the program.
• Additional music from the ‘60’s will include “Hey Jude” (Beatles) and “I Get Around” (Beach Boys).
• Songs from the ‘70’s will feature Fleetwood Mac’s “Rhiannon,” Aerosmith’s “Dream On,” and “Kung Fu Fighting” by Carl Douglas.
• The ‘80’s, ‘90’s and 2000’s will be further represented by songs performed by such artists as Diana Ross, the Romantics, Eurythmics, Tears for Fears, Deee-Lite and My Chemical Romance.
• For jazz aficionados, “Blues Machine,” written by Mike Sweeney, will be performed.
The concert will also include the always popular “faculty number” featuring WVMS teachers.
Essential information• The concert will take place on Friday, Feb. 3, at 7 p.m. in Theatre at Warwick Valley High School (snow date Thursday, Feb. 9).
• Tickets go on sale Jan. 31 and will be available during Middle School lunch periods or in the Middle School Office throughout the school day.
• Tickets will also be sold at the door.
• Ticket prices are $3 for students, $5 for adults.